photo credit: kmcdphotography
Dave Anderson is a bass player with over thirty years' experience performing and recording in a wide range of genres. His credits span a range of world class artists in jazz, R&B, pop, folk rock, fusion, world music, and more. His recent work includes associations with Bill Evan's Soulgrass, Blood Sweat & Tears, Art Garfunkel, Bob Baldwin, Smokey Robinson, Special EFX, Kate Taylor, and others. His numerous past credits include Regina Carter, Joe Beck, Marion Meadows, Warren Hill, and many others. For more information, please follow the appropriate links from the menus above. You can stay in the loop and get info on appearances by checking the performances page or joining him on facebook. If you're an artist, producer, studio owner, contractor, or fellow musician and want to contact Dave, follow the contact link above and peruse the audio and video pages for examples of his work.
• Dave will be launching a new page here soon: The Flying Squirrel Vault! The Vault will offer unreleased recordings featuring Dave with an array of creative collaborators from sessions at Flying Squirrel studio in New Fairfield CT from 2000 to the present.
• The Jones Factor, John Fumasoli's ten piece jazz/fusion big band, has been tracking at Jason Polise's studio, Stamford Recording. Material from those sessions and from Dave's Flying Squirrel studio is being edited and mixed by Dave for the group's upcoming release.
• The New Dinosaurs, Dave's co-led power trio with Trumpeter Don Harris and drummer Tyger MacNeal, will be gearing up for new recording and performances this fall. Watch for a dedicated page here, along with audio and video.
• The Bill Evans Band performs at the Rochester Jazz Fest in June, with special guests Dean Brown and Keith Carlock.
• The Bill Evans Band performs in August at the Energy Expo 2017 in Astana, Kazakhstan on a festival bill including Billy Cobham, Lee Ritenour and Marcus Miller.
• Dave's gearing up for a busy summer with a number of artists he performs with regularly, as well as some exciting new faces. Upcoming shows include Smokey Robinson, Smooth Jazz for Scholars, Special EFX, Chris Geith, The Colbys, Bill Evans, Bernie Williams, Burr Johnson, and more. He's also at work on soon-to-be-released projects at Flying Squirrel Studio in New Fairfield CT. Check the performances page for updates as appearances are confirmed.
• Dave will be appearing with Marion Meadows at his annual Christmas show at Toad's Place in New Haven CT. Dave toured the US with Marion in 1994 as a member of his touring band and has appeared on several recordings with him, including Body Rhythm, The Carols of Christmas and Winter's Solstice VI.
• Dave will once again be part of the house band for the LI Music Hall of Fame awards show at The Space in Westbury LI. Featured artists Dave will perform with include Steve Vai, David Johansen, Garland Jefferys, Vince Giordano, Johnny Farina, and others.
•The Bill Evans Band will be in Europe for their third tour there this year with dates in Greece, Germany and Austria, followed by concerts in Mexico and China. Check the performances page and Bill's site for details.
•Dave's reuniting with jazz/fusion guitar legend Tony Purrone for several upcoming dates. Dave performed with Tony's trio from 1990-2008 and appeared on several of his recordings from that period, including his debut solo album Electric Poetry, featuring Bob Mintzer and Ray Marchica.
• Dave's busy this month in the studio writing and recording for his collaborative project The New Dinosaurs, with Don Harris and Tyger MacNeal, as well as wrapping up the newest Jones Factor recordings, all in-between live shows with Smokey Robinson, Bob Baldwin, and more.
• Dave would like to acknowledge, with sadness, the unexpected passing of fellow bassist Eric Udel. Eric was a busy and respected player on the NY scene for many years, and had toured most recently with the Original Blues Brothers Band.
• The Bill Evans Band, with Bryan Baker and Joel Rosenblatt, will be back in Europe in August for CD release shows to support Bill's latest release Rise Above. Check Bill's site for updates as dates are announced.
• July will be a smooth jazz-filled month as Dave performs concerts with several great artists including Steve Cole, Brian Simpson, the Sax Pack, and a double bill with Marc Antoine and Nelson Rangell. See the performances page for details.
• Klyde Jones, bassist and vocalist with Hall & Oates, will return to Daryl's Place in Pawling NY June 12 to present his original music. Klyde hands bass duties to Dave as he fronts the band on vocals and guitar.
• Bill Evans' new disc, Rise Above, is being released this month, and features Gregg Allman, Warren Haynes, JJ Grey, Mike Stern, Murali Coryell and many other greats, along with Bill's touring band. Dave is featured on nine of the album's ten tracks. Visit iTunes or Amazon to purchase.
• Dave appears on saxophonist Matt Criscuolo's newest release, The Dialogue, featuring guitarist Tony Purrone and drummer Will Calhoun. Downbeat gave the disc three and a half stars, commenting that "Electric bassist Dave Anderson is an ideal match, locking into fat grooves when needed and intuitively navigating the free numbers with poise..."
• Dave will be performing several concerts this month with Motown legend Smokey Robinson. See the performances page for details.
• The Jones Factor, a ten piece jazz/fusion ensemble led by trombonist John Fumisoli, is currently recording their upcoming album at Dave's Flying Squirrel studio in New Fairfield CT. Dave has performed and recorded with the group since 1988.
• The Bill Evans Band will be in Europe April 2016 for the "Rise Above" tour, presented by Sgent Nation. Watch the promo clip here. For a list of dates and venues, check Bill's site and my performances page. Watch for Bill's new disc, Rise Above, to be released soon, featuring Greg Allman, Warren Haynes, JJ Grey, and other top jazz/jam stars.
• Dave will perform with the house band at Jay Rowe's 14th annual Smooth Jazz for Scholars benefit concert Apr 29/30.